Bread



  Great Music Monday: Laura Nyro
Monday, August 21, 2006
In keeping with my ever expanding love of music, beginning today I've decided to institute a new blog feature.

Welcome to Great Music Monday!

Each week I'll be posting a new entry featuring an artist or song that has and continues to move me, redefine my way of thinking, earmark my comfort rituals and otherwise bring fabulousness into my day to day goings on. I picked Mondays because, well, Mondays suck.

I invite you to seek out your own favorites, post them and drop me a comment linking to you, so we can all share the major music love and improve the quality of Mondays everywhere.

For this week...

Laura Nyro



Pretty much everyone has heard Nyro's music, most likely without realizing. Nyro, most commercially popular in the late 60s and early 70s, was a prolific artist with a solid artistic vision she refused to compromise. Hitting the music scene at age 19, she released five albums between 1967 and 1971, proving herself to be an innovative, soulful musician. Although a soulfull, intimate performer, Nyro received the most acclaim and commercial success as a songwriter, writing hits for Three Dog Night, Barbra Streisand, The Fifth Dimension, and Blood, Sweat & Tears and includes billboard hits Wedding Bell Blues, Stoned Soul Picnic, And When I Die, Save the Country, and Poverty Train.

In her own performances, Nyro had a style and sophistication all her own, and was never better than when she sat alone behind her piano and sang to audiences as if she was whispering declarations of love. Growing increasingly frustrated with the direction record producers wanted her to take, Nyro withdrew from the music scene at 24, unwilling to sacrifice her art for the sake of marketability. She returned five years later and continued to make incredible music with no regard for commercial success.

Laura died in 1997 at age 49 of ovarian cancer. She is, in my opinion, one of the most underrated musicians of her era. You may have heard her songs, but you've never really heard them until you've heard her singing them herself. Whether doing her original work or covering other artists of her era (Carole King & Dusty Springfield were favorites of hers) listening to her sing was and is like hearing her song for the first time.

Below, Laura performing Save the Country for an NBC music showcase in 1969. Save the Country was later covered by The 5th Dimension, and is equally formidable (if slightly more mainstream version), but Nyro brings an immediacy and emotional punch to the song that gets me every time.



Further listening...
(tracks I'd recommend)

From Spread Your Wings & Fly: Live at the Fillmore East 1971 (Sony, 2004)
Save the Country
Timer/Up on the Roof Medley
Ain't Nothin Like the Real Thing Medley

From Gonna Take A Miracle (Sony, Original Recording Remastered, 2004)
Natural Woman
Up on the Roof

From New York Tendaberry (Sony, Original Recording Remastered, 2002)
You Don't Love Me When I Cry
New York Tendaberry
Mercy on Broadway

And pretty much the entire retrospective Stoned Soul Picnic: The Best of Laura Nyro.

Happy listening!
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: Brooklyn, NY, United States

The basics... I'm 34, a feminist, lesbian, vegetarian, cat owning aspiring writer/director. After 27 years of fucking around telling myself my dreams weren't practical, seven years ago in a story that has now become legend in my life, I packed everything I owned and moved to Brooklyn to pursue life as a writer and theatre director. It's a very Madonna-esque tale ($800 cash to my name, nowhere to live, roaches, starvation and a crazy Turkish roommate) that I'm sure I'll be telling, but not now. For now, suffice it to say that this story, still in progress, has a happy ending. Or a happy middle, seeing as how I'm nowhere near being finished with anything. Life in Brooklyn is funny, scary, occasionally really hard, and everyday testing me as a person and a survivor. I think I'm passing. At least I wake up smiling every morning. The city is my lover, and like all truly great relationships, I love who I am when I am in it.



PREVIOUSLY...
Party People in the House Stand Up
The girl and I, summer in the city
Double Dutch Revelations
Meme O'licious
War on terror: A bus ride in BK
Self Portrait Tuesday: AT LAST
Snow Falls in Brooklyn
Slow Dancing on the Q Train
Self Portrait Tuesday
The New Year, taking stock

ARCHIVES
May 2005 / June 2005 / September 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / November 2007 / September 2008 / February 2009 /


Powered by Blogger